Antimicrobial Additives Industry Overview
The global antimicrobial additives market size is expected to reach USD 4.3 billion by 2030, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. The market is projected to expand at a CAGR of 5.6% from 2022 to 2030. The demand is ascending at a prominent rate owing to increasing product consumption in medical devices & equipment and other end-use industries, such as packaging, food & beverage, healthcare, personal care, and electronic goods. They are majorly utilized to enhance the physical as well as chemical properties, increase shelf life & aesthetic value of materials, and minimize the risk of microbes, such as MRSA and legionella.
Antimicrobial Additives Market Segmentation
For this report, Grand View Research has segmented the global antimicrobial additives market based on type, application, end-use, and region:
Based on the Type Insights, the market is segmented into organic, inorganic.
- The inorganic type segment led the market and accounted for approximately 52.6% share of the global revenue in 2021.
- High demand for silver, copper, and zinc based additives is projected to fuel the segment growth during the forecast period.
- Silver-based products are used as antimicrobial agents owing to their properties, such as non-toxicity, continual performance for a long duration, eco-friendly nature, high thermal stability, and protection against microbial growth.
- Zinc pyrithione is added to the materials that are prone to exposure to mold spores and fungi as the additive offers excellent antibacterial protection.
- Copper salts provide antimicrobial protection in preservative and sterilized applications with underlying substrates or layers being paints, coatings, and polymers.
- Organic antimicrobial additives, when used with products and materials, such as paints and coatings, provide long-lasting protection against stain and odor-causing microbes as well as biodegradation.
- As the cell wall perforates and excludes the metabolites, other cell functions are damaged, which prevents microbes, such as algae and bacteria, from duplicating.
- The growth of the organic type segment is expected to be sluggish during the forecast period on account of the ban on the sales and use of OBPA and triclosan due to their high levels of toxicity.
Based on the Application Insights, the market is segmented into plastics, paints & coatings, pulp & paper, others.
- The plastics application segment led the market and accounted for 34% share of the global revenue in 2021.
- Antimicrobial additives are incorporated during the production process of plastics to offer resistance against various microbes, thus, resulting in enhanced durability of plastic products.
- Specialty, industrial, and decorative coatings are considerably benefitted from antimicrobial additives. For instance, silver-based additives give cost-effective protection solutions when used with paints. The additives added in inks and lacquers impart durable top-coat protection when applied on paper, metal, and plastic.
Based on the End-use Insights, the market is segmented into healthcare.
- The healthcare end-use segment led the global market and accounted for approximately 26% share of the global revenue in 2021. The segment is estimated to expand further at the fastest CAGR from 2022 to 2030 due to the rising demand for healthcare products due to the growing geriatric population.
- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 1 in 25 patients is diagnosed with HAI in the country each year. HAIs can lead to prolonged stays in the hospital, readmission after discharge, and an increase in the expenses for patients.
- The food & beverage end-use segment is expected to witness a considerable growth rate during the forecast period supported by the continuous utilization of additives in shelving, flooring, food processing equipment, ice-making machines, storage containers, water coolers, and water hydration systems in the food & beverage industry.
Antimicrobial Additives Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Central & South America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
The global antimicrobial additives market is significantly fragmented owing to the presence of many manufacturers across the globe. Global players face intense competition from each other as well as from regional players, who have a strong awareness of regulations and suppliers in the markets.
Some prominent players in the global antimicrobial additives market include:
- NanoBioMatters Industries S.L.
- BASF SE
- RTP Company
- Milliken Chemical
- BioCote Ltd.
- Microban International
- Clariant AG
- PolyOne Corp.
- Momentive Performance Materials, Inc.
- Life Materials Technologies Ltd.
- SteriTouch Ltd.
- Sanitized AG
- Dow, Inc.
- LyondellBasell Industries Holdings B.V.
- Plastics Color Corp.
Order a free sample PDF of the Antimicrobial Additives Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.