Biopolymer Films: Introduction
- Biopolymersare derived naturally from organic sources such as plant proteins and starch and are easily degradable by the action of micro-organisms when exposed to moisture and heat. Bio-based plastics and biopolymers have been widely used due to their ability to replace oil-based packaging materials with bio-based films & containers that might give not only a competitive advantage due to more sustainable and greener image, but also some improved technical properties.
Key Drivers and Restraints of Biopolymer Films Market
- Biopolymers are obtained normally from natural sources, for example, plant proteins and starch. They are effectively degradable by the activity of smaller scale life forms when presented to dampness and warmth. Bio-based plastics and biopolymers have been utilized due to their capacity to supplant oil-based bundling materials with bio-based films and compartments.
- Advancements in technology, implementation of guidelines to diminish carbon content, fluctuating fuel costs, and constrained accessibility of oil assets are expected to drive the demand for bio-based plastics and polymers in the next few years. High creation cost vis-à-vis engineered films is one of the restraints of the global biopolymer films market.
Biopolymer Films: Raw Material Segment
- In terms of raw material, the biopolymer films market can be segmented into bio-based, partially bio-based, microbial synthesized, and synthetic
- Prolific availability of resources such as chitosan, pectin, cellulose, protein, and starch is expected to augment the global biopolymer films market. Pectin is a structural heteropolysaccharide found in the primary cell walls of terrestrial plants such as sugar beet. Its ionic interactions have large impact on its film forming properties and behavior in dispersions.
Request PDF Brochure
Biopolymer Films: Technology Segment
- Based on technology, the global biopolymer films market can be categorized into sol-gel, atomic layer deposition (ALD), and multilayers. Multilayer films led the overall industry size. Multilayer films are widely acceptable in the industry since they can be utilized as a packing material for dry or low moisture content food products such as dried fruits, dry snacks, nuts, and spices.
- Atomic layer deposition (ALD) technology is widely used in PHB and PLA films to enhance their antimicrobial and water vapor barrier characteristics
COVID-19 Impact on Biopolymer Films Market
- On January 30, 2020, the International Health Regulations Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. Originating in China, the virus has spread to at least 214 countries and territories around the world.
- Several governments and private sector businesses are operating at a limited capacity or have ceased operations completely due to recent events surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic
- Manufacture of various consumer goods and other products across the globe came to a halt due to the unavailability of raw materials, shortage of labor, and other reasons. This is expected to hamper the biopolymer films market.
More Trending Reports
North America Holds Major Share of Global Biopolymer Films Market
- In terms of region, the biopolymer films market can be divided into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa
- North America led by global biopolymer films market in 2020 owing to the robust product demand for food packaging applications. The U.S. is one of the major packaged food industry share contributor. Thus, the region holds significant demand for biopolymer films. Furthermore, prevalence of strict norms formulated by FDA in the U.S. for food packaging applications is likely to boost the market in North America during the forecast period.
- Asia Pacific is also a key contributor to the global market. The market in the region is expected to offer significant growth opportunities particularly due to increasing demand for these films in food and medical applications. Increasing consumer spending pattern toward food, beverages, and cosmetics is further likely to boost the market in the region.
- Biopolymer films are utilized significantly in Middle East & Africa in various end-use industries such as food & beverages, pharmaceutical, and agriculture
Key Manufacturers Operating in Biopolymer Films Market
The biopolymer films market was consolidated in 2020. Major players have prominent presence in developed and developing countries. Key manufacturers operating in the biopolymer films market include:
- Avery Dennison
- Mondi Group
- Plastic Union
- Innovia Films
- Toray Industries
- Industria Termoplastica Pavese