The global distributed fiber optic sensor market size is expected to reach USD 2,533.5 million by 2030, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. The market is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of 7.3% from 2022 to 2030.
The distributed fiber optic sensors (DFOS) market is expected to grow exponentially over the forecast period globally. Factors such as significant demand from the civil engineering vertical and rising adoption in the oil & gas sector substantially boost the adoption of distributed fiber optic sensors. Fiber optics can withstand rough handling, such as in pipes, streams, and reactors, where manual inspection is not feasible. Furthermore, they help in structural health monitoring at dangerous workplaces and can also be used for border security purposes to prevent intrusion. Thus, its capability to work in a challenging environment is another factor propelling the market growth.
Distributed Fiber Optic Sensor Market Segmentation
For the purpose of this report, Grand View Research has segmented the distributed fiber optic sensor market based on application, technology, vertical, and region:
Based on the Application Insights, the market is segmented into Temperature Sensing, Acoustic/Vibration Sensing, Other.
- The temperature sensing segment dominated the market and accounted for a revenue share of 45.3% in 2021. DFOS sensors help to generate a continuous profile of strain, acoustics, temperature, or conditions along the entire length of the fiber.
- Deploying distributed temperature sensing systems (DTS) enables enterprises and organizations to engage in effective temperature measurement practices in challenging scenarios. The high accuracy of the technology being used and the ability to be deployed in several industries such as oil and gas, industrial, civil engineering, and power and utility drive the market for the technology.
- Acoustic and vibration sensing also captured nearly 39% revenue share in 2020, thus showcasing the importance of the technology and application for various uses. However, the high cost of deployment and technological complexities act as refraining factors for the market.
Based on the Technology Insights, the market is segmented into Rayleigh Effect, Brillouin Scattering, Raman Effect, Interferometric, Bragg Grating.
- The Raman Effect technology segment captured the highest revenue share of more than 38.0% in 2021.
- This can be accredited to the use of technology in critical situations such as the safety of large structures, coolant leak detection, and fire detection with uses in advanced data processing practices.
- The Rayleigh effect segment is expected to offer significant growth opportunities to the market. It is due to the technology’s ability to measure almost all physical parameters such as strain and temperature.
Based on the Vertical Insights, the market is segmented into Oil and Gas, Power and Utility, Safety and Security, Industrial, Civil Engineering.
- The oil and gas segment dominated the market and accounted for a revenue share of 36.0% in 2021. Also, other verticals, including power and utility, safety and security, industrial, and civil engineering, have a major impact on the market’s growth.
- DFOS is essential in real-time and accurate downhole measurement for optimized performance, leading to real-time data-driven decision-making. The use of fiber optics for Distributed Temperature Sensing (DTS) and Distributed Acoustic Sensing (DAS) helps solve daily oil and gas field encounters, which is further offering an impetus to market growth.
- The power and utility sector has gained significant revenue share due to increasing demand amongst electric utility companies for localization and hot spot detection, smart grid, and ampacity.
Distributed Fiber Optic Sensor Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- South America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
Rising R&D activities and increasing investments made by service providers to accelerate innovation and provide better service offerings offer an impetus to market growth. This has helped users engage in data-driven decision-making and closely administer machine systems to mitigate potential risks.
Some prominent players in the global distributed fiber optic sensor market include
- Schlumberger Limited
- Yokogawa Electric Corporation
- OFS Fitel, LLC
- Qinetiq Group PLC
- Omnisens SA
- Brugg Kable AG
- Luna Innovations Incorporated
- AP Sensing GmbH
Order a free sample PDF of the Distributed Fiber Optic Sensor Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.