NEW YORK – The biggest fight to be made in women’s boxing now comes with the support of some of a medium known for building the biggest women’s sports entertainers in the world.
WWE (World Wrestling Entertainment) will lend its promotional muscle to boxing’s first-ever female fight to headline at New York City’s iconic Madison Square Garden. Saturday’s highly anticipated clash between undisputed lightweight champion Katie Taylor and record-setting, seven division titlist Amanda Serrano (Saturday, DAZN, 7:30 p.m. ET) will come with the support of WWE and ten of its current stars.
The deal—which BoxingScene.com confirmed has been months in the making and finalized upon confirmation of Taylor-Serrano landing at MSG—will see Raw Women’s Champion Bianca Belair and former champ Becky Lynch serve as captains for Team Serrano and Team Taylor, respectively. Each team has five WWE superstars who will blast out fight week social media engagements to an audience reach of more than 75 million subscribers across all digital platforms.
Lynch anchors a team representing Ireland’s Taylor (20-0, 6KOs) that includes:
– Sheamus, the first Irish world champion in WWE history;
– Finn Balor, who hails from Taylor’s hometown of Bray, Ireland and is quickest wrestler in WWE history to win a world title, doing so less than four weeks after joining the WWE roster
– Shayna Baszler, the longest combined reigning NXT champion;
– Sasha Banks, one-half of the current WWE Women’s Tag Team Champions and who was the third-most tweeted about female athlete in 2021/
Belair rides with Brooklyn’s Serrano (42-1-1, 30KOs) along with:
– Charlotte Flair, the record-setting six-time and reigning SmackDown Women’s Champion and daughter of the legendary Ric Flair;
– Alexa Bliss, the first woman to win both the SmackDown and Raw Women’s titles and the first-ever two-time SmackDown Women’s Champion;
– Queen Zelina, a Queens-based Boricua who is a former WWE Women’s Tag Team Champion;
– Damian Priest, a New York City-based wrestler who was raised in Dorado, Puerto Rico, where Serrano splits time in training camp along with manager and content creator Jake Paul.
WWE will also push out the DAZN event throughout fight week, across all of its social media channels boasting a combined audience reach of more than 167,400,000 followers and subscribers.
Lynch and Belair will both be present for Friday’s final pre-fight weigh-in. A replica of Belair’s Raw Women’s Championship title will be presented to the Taylor-Serrano winner Saturday evening.