Most of the 6XXX series of errors appears while accessing the company file due to corruption in it. However, there is an exception where the error arises because of incorrectly set up multi-users settings. The error that we are talking about is QuickBooks error 6189 that appears with an error message “An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file (-6189, -816).” This is also a common error in QuickBooks that affects several users running QuickBooks in multi-user mode. If you are also dealing with the same issue, keep reading the article until the end for more info on its reasons and solutions.
If external assistance is required to implement the solutions listed in this article, dial 1.800.579.0391 and get in touch with one of our certified QuickBooks Desktop experts now
What Gives Rise to QuickBooks Desktop Error 6189?
The list of reasons that gives rise to error 6189 in QuickBooks is long, and down-below we have mentioned some of the most common causes.
- If, while installing the QuickBooks Desktop application, some files are not properly executed by the installer, you can get error 6189 while accessing the company file.
- If QuickBooks on the server is not running in multi-user mode.
- In case any user is running QuickBooks on the workstation in multi-user mode.
- One more situation where you can see error 6189 in QuickBooks is when the database server manager is not running on the machine.
After knowing the most common reasons that can prompt error code 6189 in QuickBooks, we can quickly troubleshoot it using the solutions mentioned in the next section of this article.
Recommended to read : QuickBooks Error 15241
Here’s How to Deal with QuickBooks Company File Error 6189
Solution 1: Run Quick Fix My Program Tool to Repair Program Installation Issues
- Get QuickBooks Tool Hub downloaded on your system.
- You can find the tool on the official Intuit’s website.
- Run it and move it to the Program Installation Issues tab.
- Select Quick Fix My Program tool from there and follow the on-screen prompts to run it.
- Let it repair the program installation issues and retry to access the company file in QuickBooks.
Recommended to read : QuickBooks Error H202
Solution 2: Verify the Hosting Settings on the Server and Workstations
- Go to the server computer and run QuickBooks on it.
- From the File tab, move to the Utilities drop-down.
- Make sure that QuickBooks is running in Multi-User Mode.
- Now check the hosting settings on each workstation and make sure that all are running in Single-User Mode.
Solution 3: Re-Run QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Click the Windows Start button and search for the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Select the program from the list and click the Scan option in the program.
- Browse the company file and now open it in QuickBooks.
If you again get QuickBooks Error 6189 , this indicates that there must be some issues with the operating system or the network configuration. To get the problem fixed, you will need to consult a professional that you can reach by dialing QuickBooks support number 1.800.579.0391.
You may read also :QuickBooks Auto data recovery